30 Things About Me

1. Piano
File:Steinway & Sons concert grand piano, model D-274, manufactured at Steinway's factory in Hamburg, Germany.pngI used to practice piano with those who now majors in piano until I decided not to pursue my career in this realm around 10. The critical reason was that I became easily nervous - too nervous. At competitions, I yawned, yawned and yawned as I felt apprehensive. Because I yawned once in ten seconds, my teachers and parents had thought I was too relaxed, which was the very antithesis of the inner crisis I was suffering from. After screwing three competitions in a row, I decided to enjoy playing the piano as a mere hobby, not a career.


2. Conductor
Frankly, more than I was passionate for conducting itself, I was quite confident that I will be chosen as the conductor of KMLA orchestra (as it seemed only one application - by me - was submitted). I also was quite confident that I can rectify contemptible traditions and alleviate complaints I used to listen to in my first year in the orchestra. I realized, after a year of burdensome, painful experiences, that being a good leader is far more difficult than I expected. Leading a group of 40 people - and their parents - may have afflicted my physical and mental health, yet I believe that the experiences themselves were meaningful and educational indeed.

3. Sensitive
The more I try to become sensitive, the more I become so. Especially when conducting the orchestra, I even pay attention to a moment's breaths and wince by each of the forty members. Although I used to be an all-time sensitive person when I entered this school, I have acquired skills of managing my sensitive qualities not only for myself but for my friends who later told me how they felt after my occasionally acrimonious remarks. My endearing friends' sincere advice moved me, and thereby I could not indulge myself persisting on my comfort zone anymore. Yes, my friends worth more than my pity ego - if I have to choose, I would definitely resign my insistence on the latter.

4. Oolong Tea
My favorite beverage of all times. People mostly attribute its fruitful scent(literally, as if it comprises many fruits) to the popularity of the tea. However, the scent that disseminates throughout my throat right before the moment I swallow the tea - a delightful experience comparable to stepping on an untainted snow, yet more warm and cozy, would provide - is why I love this tea so much. Regardless of how concerned I am at the moment of a cup of tea, comfortable relief always follows the sip. Other than playing the piano, Oolong tea is the best way I can relieve my stress and redeem my inner peace.

5. Pursuit of Uniqueness
Uniqueness is one of the most important virtues I pursue. Why choose what all others do, while opportunities leading to my uniqueness lay beside? In my academic year 2016-2017, nearly all of my classmates were older than me - as being only or one of three freshmen in AP Stat / AP Com Sci classes with a size of 15 students, my schedule was far more like that of juniors. Indeed I expected that; I was in sought of uniqueness the moment registering for courses. Uniqueness matters.

6.Nuclear Fusion Reactor
Fusion reactorIn the very similar context, my lifelong dream has been developing a profitable nuclear fusion reactor. Despite a general perception that nuclear power is dangerous, nuclear fusion is different from what we refer to as "nuclear power," or nuclear fission. The threshold to initiate the reaction is far higher than not only nuclear fission but what the modern technology can provide; in short, nuclear fusion is too safe to be implemented. My dream is to design and commercialize a profitable nuclear fusion reactor, like Arc Reactor of Iron Man. Why? Because energy insufficiency will become the greatest threat to humanity, nuclear fusion will serve as the savior of mankind. I will not deny, too, that idiosyncrasy of the pursuit of nuclear fusion compels my nature toward this goal.


7. Role Model - Taylor Wilson
Taylor Wilson is the nuclear scientist who built his own fusion reactor in the garage when he was fourteen. Mad, pretty much. I admire his passion and conviction for what he truly loves. Were it not for such strong motivation, his challenge would have resulted in a mere failure by discouraging remarks by those who believed he will fail. He has overcome, and this encouraged my belief that what others deem impossible still may be possible in hands of those who believe in themselves. 

8. Math
Will I become a nuclear scientist, then? I doubt; none could accurately predict what a student will become after ten years. Mathematics, however, could explain most of my current academic interests. Taking Linear Algebra last year, I realized that the logical thinking process the realm requires is what I truly love; that sudden surge of ecstasy when logic falls into the right place! Before, I had regarded math as a series of solving questions like olympiads ask us to do. Now that I experienced what genuine math taught in colleges is like, I am quite confident that I will proceed on my academic voyage for mathematics.

9. Curiosity - nearly blind by an electric spark
My parents once bought me a multimeter, an electronic device that can measure the intensity of electric current and voltage, as a birthday present. To fulfill my curiosity, I plugged the two metal rods of the device into the plug. However, things didn't go as expected. The plug burst into a firework; with an electric spark, it kept smoldering with an acerbic odor for a while. Were it not for my glasses, it would have been my eyes that suffered from the spark and greasy molten rubber.

10. Curiosity - nearly deafened by a dry-ice bomb
On my way back from the hospital, I bought the Quarter-Icecream from Baskin Robbins 31. When my friends and I were done with the ice cream, we found a load of dry-ice remaining. So I started taking experiments with it. The last was making a bomb and check how long it takes for a tightly sealed plastic water bottle full of water and dry-ice to explode. The experiment turned out to be a dud. Upset, I approached the bottle to throw it away, but right before my hands, it exploded with an enormous thud. A high-pitched monotonic alarm kept ringing in my ears. I thought I was deafened. After few minutes, I found out that my auditory organs functioned properly, so I had no need to tell my parents about the accident.

11. Favorite Quote
"What is that feeling when driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? - It's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies." Jack Kerouac, <On the Road>
Although the quote seems more appropriate for situations including a farewell to someone, I like that part in which mentions how insignificant individuals and their shortcomings are compared to the vastness of this world.

12. Terrible in Sports
Let me be frank; I suck at all sports, especially with those that include balls. Soccer, basketball, baseball, and even volleyball - I can list a deluge of epic failures that demonstrated that I lacked any physical aptitudes for athletics.

13. 100m Sprinter
Ironically, I used to be a 100m sprinter both in elementary school and middle school. I didn't even go through the middle school roulette system, in which all pre-middle school students' future schools are decided because the middle school athletic team scouted me as their member. 

14. Sensitive Ears
I can hear even the quietest sound, those that my roommates whisper to each other from across the other bed. Jaebeom from V2 can prove that. Among all the nuisance that I have experienced, auditory disturbances are by far the one that distracts me the most.

15. Sleep Too Well
However, I turn off my ears absolutely when I sleep. When I fall asleep, I can hear nothing; no matter how hard my friends listen to music or shout out aloud to wake me up.

16. Lazy Bird
I sleep late and wake up late. Staying up all night is far easier than waking up early. I wish I were born an owl next life so that I wouldn't have to wake up early.

17. Jawline
Compared to most of my friends, I have a vivid jawline. Although it usually functions as a positive factor in one's outlook, mine is asymmetric - my left jaw is bigger than the right. Because of this, I seem as if an optical distortion caused an asymmetry on my face on some of the photos.

18. Plastic Surgery
Generally, I am quite satisfied with how I look - except my jaw. Unfortunately, jaw reduction is one of the most dangerous, high-risk plastic surgeries. There is no way I would ever dare the risk of acquiring an irrevocable deformity on my face. 

19. Hair, Too Straight
I was not born with such a hair, too straight to follow my efforts. Regardless of what I do to my hair, including hair-dryer, hard wax, and even a curling iron, all I need to restore my original hair is shaking it several times. Last year when I was preparing for the music festival, I dried my hair every single quarter of an hour to keep my sideburns calm and obedient.

20. Beer
Whenever I stay up all night, alone in my room, beer always comes up to my mind. A cool breeze wooshing in from a slightly opened window reminds me of a glass of a fresh, cold beer.

21. Not an Alcohol-Friendly Body
Despite how often I think of a can of beer, I cannot drink well. My parents have been gradually raising the amount of beer they make me drink per meal every time I get back to my home. Burning - getting red, starting from one's face - started after a can of beer. Probably my upper limit must be somewhere above a can of beer. 

22. Alcohol Guideline
My parents make me drink, at least once a week. They call that a preparation; but frankly, I think that they are enjoying their experiment on "How much could our offspring drink?" Honestly, I enjoy the experiment too, because beer always entails a midnight chicken. Ahoy chicken!

23. Tithe (Money)
My parents have a quite unique way of teaching their offspring in many ways, including allowance. I made a contract: whenever I need, my parents offer me an allowance - and by the contract, I have to pay tithe of my income until my marriage. I consider that to be a fair deal. Isn't it?

24. Financial Status
Becuase I liked to look at a piece of paper full of numbers ever since I was young, I would discover tax bills, insurance documents, and even my parents' credit card bills. Thus, they didn't try hiding our financial status from me - because even if they did, I would find out those hidden documents and ask them tons of questions.

25. Nutritional Facts
Most of the times I eat food, I check nutritional facts. Neither to lose weight nor to prevent allergic reactions, but to enjoy. In fact, they provide us a variety of interesting information. Name one food that yields the greatest amount of cholesterol per kilogram: cake rolls. Which is the healthiest beverage our school vending machine offers: Narangd Cider. And so on.

26. Sugar!
As I read nutritional facts of food I consume a lot of time, one of the most important factors I check is the amount of sugar included. One of the reasons is that my grandparents have diabetes. Another reason is that I can expect how delightful I would be after eating this. However, I used to stay far away from sugary food until my middle school period. The school I now attend to ruined my healthy habits.

27. Breakfast
Throughout my entire elementary & middle school period, I missed my breakfast only twice. However, during my senior years in high school, I had my breakfast only twice - once before SAT and once before my first AP exam. My mother blames the school for the loss. See - we all are deprived of sleep!

28. Fine Dust, You are Guilty of Making Me Drowsy
I discovered this recently: a day that I am knocked down even before 10PM is mostly the day I enjoyed a highly concentrated fine dust floating throughout an atmosphere. Maybe this is an allergic symptom. Thanks, Obama.

29. Billiard Sports
I used to play billiard since eleven. My last Christmas present was a mini-sized billiard table that barely fit into our small living room. It still is in our living room, possessing such a large area in the middle. Whenever my assignment or studying does not go well, it helps me refresh my brain and morale.

30. No Television for Ten Years
There is no television in my home - for 10 years. It was for educational purposes, apparently. And honestly, I think it did really had efficacy in achieving that goal.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 5. Food Fight || Tour d'Ivoire, Struggling but Pursuing

Episode 3. The Big Man Can't Shoot || The Self-Confidence Crisis